Tahini and Jam

I went to the grocery store today to get some stuff for dinner, and tahini was on my list. Since I wanted both tahini and tortilla chips, necessities my regular shop was unequipped to deal with, I trekked up the hill to the large international grocery store. 

I found most everything all right. I very carefully examined the tortilla chip bag before placing it in my cart. Last time I mistakenly grabbed cheese-flavored tortilla chips and was not pleased to discover the unwanted flavor when dipping into my Frank’s hot sauce. Frank’s and fake cheese do not go particularly well together. 

The last thing on my list: tahini. I swung over to the condiment aisle to begin my search. And search I did. I went up and down, and down and up. I tried to see if it were on the very top shelf (sometimes things get moved up there). I swung around the corner to the next aisle and then back to an aisle on the far side with no luck. Where was it? 

I also couldn’t find any workers to ask, so I pushed my cart up to the front checkout. The couple in front of me was chatting with the cashier. Or at least she was chatting with them quite happily. She exclaimed over the Australian man’s Cantonese phrases but was a bit disappointed when he didn’t understand when she asked him how he wanted to pay. 

“Just have her pay,” the cashier told him helpfully, nodding to his other half. Then tried to get him to repeat 信用卡 (seon3jung6kaat1 credit card) after her. The shopper in front of them was very interested in the exchange and wheeled around to join in the lesson. 

By time they left, he had learned a few new words. Maybe next week he’ll be back to learn some more. It could be a whole thing, supermarket language sessions. 

No matter how amusing I found the exchange, I was still on a mission: tahini. When it was finally my turn, I asked the lady where the tahini was. Well, to be exact, I asked her where the “Western sesame sauce” was. Not sure what tahini is in Canto, but I am 80% sure that is right. She excitedly told me she knew what I meant and took me back to the condiment aisle I had just spent ten minutes combing. Much to her consternation, she also did not find it, but asked me if Japanese sesame salad dressing would do. Sadly, I don’t think you can make hummus with that. 

She flagged down a worker (where were they ten minutes ago???) and asked her to show me the peanut butter just in case it was there. The coworker dutifully led me to the peanut sauce…that is used for cheung fan. Not quite what I was thinking. 

Then, it struck me. Jam. I had a vague memory of finding tahini there. So I asked her where the jam was, and she led me halfway across the store. Bingo! There was jar after jar of peanut butter AND one lone jar of tahini waiting for me. Success! Seemed a bit weird to place it there (I can imagine some hapless victim trying to make a tahini and jam sandwich), but at least I found it. 

I triumphantly made my way back to the cashier who congratulated me on finding the tahini and on speaking Cantonese. While scanning my items, she told me all about her Canadian ex-boyfriend who couldn’t speak Cantonese. 

“When we went out with my friends, we had to speak English,” she told me, shaking her head.

“That was polite of you,” I said. 

“Yeah, he didn’t know how to say anything so it would be a bit boring.” 

“And a bit awkward for him.”

“Yes,” she agreed. “Definitely awkward. I don’t know why he didn’t learn. I guess he didn’t have the heart.” 

“Heart is important,” I said, paying with my card and gathering up my groceries. 

“You come back soon and we can talk more!” she told me. 

“Thanks, see you next time.” 

I took my groceries and my hard-won tahini and headed home. It’s not every day that your groceries come with language lessons and life stories. I'm not sure about the Australian guy, but it at least gave me a little more heart to learn. 


Comments

Popular Posts