A Mostly Complete Guide to Hong Kong Trams
It was only a matter of time before I wrote this tram guide. While I’m a fan of most forms of Hong Kong public transport, my absolute favorite is the tram. One major deterrent to moving back to Kowloon would be the fact that I wouldn’t take the tram as often. When I lived in Jordan, my tram rides were few and far between (although my Mong Kok trips quadrupled).
I ride the tram a lot these days, and I have noticed that a lot of tourists seem excited but unsure about tram etiquette. Or often they end up on the wrong tram. So in order to clear up this confusion, I thought I’d write some instructions for taking the tram.
Unlike most other forms of Hong Kong transportation, trams require you to pay when you get off instead of when you get on. The tram entrance is also at the back. There isn’t really an actual line so try to position yourself as close to where you estimate the back of the tram will be. When it arrives, slowly shuffle forward with the crowd and then step up onto the tram and push through the turnstile when it’s your turn. The exit is at the front by the driver, and you can either use your octopus card, credit card, or drop your coins into the box at the front. I think you can use AliPay too, but I’m not entirely sure. I guess this isn’t that comprehensive after all.
Unless the tram is very empty or you are just going a short way, I suggest going upstairs. You will have a much higher chance of snagging a seat, and the view is better. If it’s rainy season, be sure to check the seats before you sit down. All good Hong Kongers carry mini packets of tissues with them to wipe the seats off if they have rain on them. You can grab packs at any 7-11. They also come in handy as napkins if your restaurant does not offer napkins (many do not) or for wiping your sweaty brow when the summer heat gets to you (it likely will).
If you are unlucky and all the seats are taken, then just stand up and hold onto the hand rails. It’s polite to move forward in the car so when more people inevitably come, they have a place to stand. A few times recently I have seen people stand right in front of the stairway or even in the stairway so they were blocking the new people who were trying to come upstairs. You know, it might have been intentional.
I know it seems awkward, but when it’s time to get off you just have to squeeze past all of the standing people. Yes, you might get very close to a lot of sweaty strangers. That is just the nature of life in Hong Kong. Lots of unwanted physical contact. There is a mutual agreement that you try to get it over with as fast as possible and then immediately stop thinking about it. Just make sure to let out a polite “唔該” (m4 goi1) as you squeeze past.
Another factor that can add some confusion is which tram to get on. Most obviously, you need to figure out if you are going east or west. The sign on top of the tram stop will tell you which direction that tram is going (Eastbound or Westbound), but different trams will go different distances. The front and back of the tram has the name of where it will terminate. I can’t tell you the number of times I have seen some surprised tourists at the Happy Valley tram terminus. They thought they were heading to North Point (or Central or Wan Chai or wherever) and then their tram takes a sharp turn into Happy Valley. It stops and everyone files off, leaving them to wonder what to do. The right answer is to get off and go to the front and get on the correct tram going the right direction.
But how do you know which one to get on? Well, the easiest way is to go on the HK Tramways website. They have an interactive map which shows all of the different terminuses and where they are in relation to the whole tram line. You can look up where you are going on Google maps and then determine if the terminus is before or after your destination. For example, if you are trying to get to somewhere in Sai Ying Pun, the Westbound Shek Tong Tsui, Whitty Street, and Kennedy Town trams would get you there, but the Western Market tram would stop too early. Make sure to check the sign before getting on the tram, because after you get on the only way to figure out which tram you are on is to ask the other passengers or the driver.
If you are riding it for fun and picture-taking (as opposed to getting from one place to another), I recommend you start at either end (Shau Kei Wan or Kennedy Town) so that you have a better chance of getting a good seat. Just keep in mind that you cannot ride the whole of Hong Kong Island on the same tram. You would need to get off eventually and switch to another one. When switching trams, it’s better to choose less crowded tram stops for a better chance at getting on and finding a seat. When going east, getting on in Sheung Wan is better than Central. When going west, Tin Hau beats Causeway Bay.
I also personally adore riding the tram at night since they are not as crowded and hot, and the drivers drive much faster. Nothing better than a long tram ride after a long day. You can let your mind wander as the world slowly passes by out the window.
So I hope the next time you visit the 852, I hope you will be more equipped to take a ride on the beloved ding ding.
Comments
Post a Comment